Mansfield: 01623 420 269
Chesterfield: 01246 385 385

Author: JW / / Latest News

Splitting the Income of Married Couples

When married couples hold savings accounts and other investments in joint names, the income form these investments is split 50:50 for tax purposes, unless there is an election to allocate the income in accordance with their beneficial interest. This is particularly important where the couples’ marginal tax rates are different now that there are difference personal savings allowances.

Where the husband pays tax at 40% and the wife is only a 20% basic rate taxpayer, there can be significant tax savings.

HMRC need to be notified that the split of income is other than 50:50 and we can of course help you complete the appropriate forms.

Please note that in the case of buy to let properties the election can only be made where the property is owned as ‘tenants in common’ and you may need to get your solicitor to check the ownership positio

Comments are closed

WordPress Security