Mansfield: 01623 420 269
Chesterfield: 01246 385 385

Author: JW / / Latest News

Applying for Marriage Allowance

Marriage allowance allows you to transfer 10% of your personal allowance (£1,100) to your husband/wife/civil partner. This can reduce their tax by up to £220 in the tax year. (6 April – 5 April the next year)

To benefit as a couple, you will need to earn less than your partner and have an income of £11,000 or less. If you were eligible for the Marriage Allowance from 2015 to 2016 tax year, you can backdate your claim to 6 April 2015.

Who can apply:

  • If you’re married or in a civil partnership
  • If you don’t earn anything or your income is under £11,000
  • If your partners income is between £11,001 and £43,000

The application to claim this is made online using the following link

Before you Apply:

You will need you and your partner’s national insurance numbers and you will need a way to be able to prove your identity. This can be one of the following:

  • The last 4 digits of the accounts that your child benefit, tax credits or pension is paid into
  • The last 4 digits of an accounts that pays you interest
  • Details from your P60
  • Details from any of your 3 most recent payslips

Once you have filled our your application you will get an email confirming this, please make sure you pass this onto Stopford’s as it will be required to finalise your spouse/civil partners tax return.

Please ensure you only make the transfer for the tax year 2015/16 and not the current tax year. The current tax year will be dealt with after 5 April 2017.


Comments are closed

WordPress Security